I Ling Matthews: Instructor
"When I started training for my first adventure race, I couldn't climb a hill on my mountain bike. In fact, my first race ended with a trip to the hospital! Since that time, I've learned what commitment, persistence and teamwork are really all about. The outdoors has taught me many lessons that I could never experience from the sidelines. My goal is to work everyday towards pushing my limits and doing my part in sharing these experiences with others."
I Ling's passion for adventure has taken her motor crossing along trails in the North Georgia Mountains; wreck and deep scuba diving; long distancing sea kayaking along Australia's coastline; and rock climbing, rappelling and ascending. She also encourages others to push their fitness as a certified cycle (PACE) instructor, kickboxing instructor and personal trainer.
As a recent recipient of a BALANCE® Bar grant, I Ling has begun to test the waters of adventure sports. As a new mountain biker and adventure racer, I Ling has had the opportunity to travel to some of the most incredible and inspiring places in the country. In 2003, I Ling jumped headfirst into adventure sports competitions, including:
- North Georgia 30-Hour Adventure Race (13th place), January 2004
- 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo Mountain Bike Race (14th place 2-person duo), February 2004
- Yard Sale Race, GAP Series (4th Place), March 2004
- Blue Ridge Adventure Race, March 2004
- Save the World Adventure Race, April 2004
- Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race (14th place, 2-peron), May 2004
- The Burn 24 Hour Mountain Bike Race (2nd place, solo), May 2004
- Blue Ridge 8-Hour Adventure Race, April 2003
- Endorphin Fix 2-Day Adventure Race, April 2003
- Rome 62 Mile Road Ride, May 2003
- Southern Crush 15-Hour Adventure Race, June 2003
- Balance Bar Sprint Adventure Race, June 2003
- Assault on Mt Mitchell Off-Road Mountain Bike Ride (55 Miles), July 2003
- Covington Road Century, August 2003
- Save the World 12-Hour Adventure Race (2nd), September 2003
- Dahlonega Three Gap 50 Road Ride, September 2003
- Solo 24 Hours of Adrenalin MTB Race (5th), Conyers, GA, October 2003
- Raging Russell 20-Hour Adventure Race, November 2003
I Ling believes that anyone, particularly teens and women of any age, can learn from adventure sports, when given the opportunity and the right reinforcement.